Monday, March 22, 2010

Northern Exposure: Boston

(This is just a short reflection on what happened in Boston, there is much more!)

I had the most compelling trip I have ever been on this past Spring Break in Boston. I love the city so much, not just because of its architecture, history, and beauty. Not because of it's athletic achievement, or its cinematic accomplishments (I love seeing the City Hall that is in the Departed, or the store that had furniture and items from various films). Not because of it's academia of prestigious proportions, although the fact that Boston has most of the top schools all in one area and that is incredibly amazing). But, because it is in need of being loved on in more ways than what it is producing.

The pastor of the Charles River Church that we were helping out, Josh, said it best that Boston was a graveyard of what they call church planting in Boston. Boston is considered now by statistical standards to be an unreached people group. It is hard to be a Christian there, much less to plant churches there that will grow and thrive in a spiritually hostile area such as Boston. Knowledge gained out weighs true wisdom, and the battle is constantly raging all the time, and is increasing in its mortality on both fronts. We had this intriguing discussion with a man outside of Harvard University (Outside of The Coop). His name was Bruce, he was probably about 60 years-old or so, and he has been doing sidewalk "evangelism" since October there right outside of the university. I put evangelism in quotes, mainly because he was not evangelizing as how we have come accustomed to it here at Liberty. He was not forceful in trying to get people to engage in conversation with him. He had signs that said 'Take my Bible quiz and learn to think for yourself. Beware of Men- Jesus." He told us he would talk to whoever was intrigued enough to talk to him, sometimes for five minutes or for five hours. He talked to Jews, Atheists, Christians (of all theologies), and just wanted to pick the brains of people. He felt that God was preparing him for years in his studies for this. He didn't go to school, but had studied for so long that he was quite knowledgeable of the Bible and theology. He gave two options for the quiz: from the Tanak or the New Covenant. We were given a sample of his quiz, increasingly getting more difficult as we went on. People would come up an listen, or leave (one guy was mad and started to shout things, which I am sure Bruce is used to).

But, as we stayed there, we learned of Bruce's dissatisfaction with the church. He was struggling with finding a church that fit, mainly because he felt they weren't preaching on studying the Word or whatever else he felt they needed to be preaching. We saw his frustration with pastors and the church as a whole. It was sad because we could tell he wanted fellowship, which the church is supposed to be, but he wasn't receiving it. I don't exactly know what he was looking for, but he said he was looking for people to give things back to him, as he was giving out. He asked if we had anything to give him, I think in the sense of anything of worth, encouragement might have helped, but I still think he was striving to grasp for more of whatever we could give. I think there are many people out there struggling to grasp for anything, and in a way pushing a way a lot of things that would nourish their thirsty souls. If you are reading this, please add Bruce to your prayer list, it is a lonely world where he is, and is in need of encouragement and also a better roof over his head. He told us he was homeless for a while, and the place he is staying now isn't that great.

Homelessness was a big thing we saw there. I have seen homeless people before, but this trip I was much more aware of the people around me, and I saw pain and frustration, but I was blessed to see a smiling face on the last day we were in Boston. This man was sitting by the T station at Boston Universities bookstore. He had a sign that said God Bless You next to his can and a Bible. I gave him some money, and he smiled. I hadn't seen a homeless person smile like that. There was hope in his eyes, and he wasn't impatient or seemingly distraught as I think we perceive the homeless to be. His easiness almost made me want to sit and talk with him for a while, to see what was in his heart. As I reflect on this now, I feel so much emotion that I hadn't felt at that moment when I saw him and gave him a few bucks. I am mad that my heart did not burn with heartache for this man, of whom Jesus said to care for because when we do, we are caring for Him. Those few dollars were not enough. But, nonetheless, this man's smile made it seems as if it were a great sum. Pray for him, pray that he finds shelter and money, but also that he continues strong in his faith. God will reward him much for the little that he had and gives. Pray for the others out there as well, sitting on church stairs, building corners, park benches, and T stations. There were many street performers that we saw as well, and most of them were quite talented. Pray that they come to know Christ and can use such a talent to bring glory to God.

Pray for the Charles River Church. They are starting their first service this Easter and have been plowing ahead to get everything ready. We were able to go out into the target communities and talk about the church and we were able to reach out to the community at the same time. We passed out flyer cards about the church with granola bars and Via coffees. My favorite part, and probably the most rewarding was giving out the beach balls to the little children. We went to playgrounds and parks around the area and talked with moms and kids. They were delighted to have the balls, and the parents were very open. I was nervous at first to do it, I had never done anything like this. This whole experience has grown me so much to come boldly to the world and show Christ to people, even in the smallest of gestures as a smile or a beach ball. Boston is a rough area, people aren't used to freely caring for others, or giving others a kind glance and smile. When we gave out beach balls, the kids would ask if they were to keep. Parents and adults would ask if there was a catch, or just give us weird looks, then relax and smile. People are desiring a change there, they just don't know what yet. Pray that people will consider questioning what it might be, remember this church, and go there. Not just on Easter, but after that as well. Pray that their hearts are soft and their eyes are opened to the Word of God, the hope in Christ, and the beauty of true fellowship with Christians. God is going to do amazing things at this church, and in the lives of those on staff. So much prayer and vision has gone into this, and they have been blessed in huge and small ways. Please, put them on your prayer list and constantly be praying for strength and the boldness to shine a light amidst the darkness in New England. They have already begun being that light, and it was such a blessing to be a small part of their planning and putting it together. If you would like to know other ways you can help, let me know! This place is raw for awakening, it just has to be set on fire and that can only be done by people who allow God to use them there, and go with pure boldness.

My plan is after these next 7 weeks of school and graduation, that I can live there myself. I have always loved it there, but I was increasingly falling in love with Boston as the week went on. There is so much I have to get done right away, but it is propelling me with an excited heart to action to get it done. Pray that I can get all the applications in for jobs this week and that I can find out soon for a job after I do it. I have possible roommates, I just need a way of paying for an apartment. I would greatly appreciate it.


"Preach abroad. It is the cooping yourselves up in rooms that has dampened the work of God, which never was and never will be carried out to any purpose without going into the highways and hedges and compelling men and women to come in."- Jonathan Edwards (New England preacher in the First Awakening)

No comments:

Post a Comment